I decided to make a background for the site, rather than just having it be white. I’m happy with the result. I took a bunch of tamgas, slightly stylized them, and had them tiled across the background.
I haven’t done much work on the site beyond that. I’ve considered adding a few new glosses: maybe strawberry, cherry? Walnut? We’ll see…
At any rate, I’m still here, still doing the occasional update…
I’ve hit entry 17000 today. The most recent is Teleut for “how”: қайында, кааньда . I’m at a point where I have so many data sources that I can’t forsee an end point. I still haven’t done anything much with Khorasani Turkic, which will result in another 1000 or so entries, have tons more Dolgan and Teleut to input, haven’t done as much as I would like with Orkhon Turkic, etc. etc.
I’ve added yet another language to the list: Mishär Tatar. I’ve found a good German language source and have been adding a few forms. I’m up to 16,800 entries, so 17,000 isn’t too far off.
I have had a bit more time to work on this project, so updates will be fairly continuous.
I’ve been tipped off to some data on a new variety: Xyzyl. Xyzyl is often considered a dialect of Khakas, but because it is so divergent from the standard, some authorities consider it a distinct language. I’ve created a page for it and added it to the map. I should have some lexical data added to the database in the next few days.
I was rather upset when Tehlikedeki Diller Dergisi disappeared from its original home on the web. I’m pleased to report that it has returned!
I’ll update the links to articles that I have in my references.
I’ll be starting up at a new institution soon, so I will likely have significantly fewer resources available. I’m pleased with amount of data I have made available, and will likely be adding more as I have the time, but at a much slower pace.
News item no.1: Tehlikedeki Dil Dergisi, a journal that was an excellent source for several varieties, seems to have disappeared. It’s now become the website Son Sesler. With any luck the journal will be re-uploaded and added to.
New item no.2: I am working on adding search suggestions to the search box. Sometimes it works, sometimes it crashes the entire site. Once I’ve made this work, it will likely be the last update for some time.
Edit: It works! I’m still shaky on PHP, and I think I was trying to re-use an array without resetting it or something…
I’ve been a bit burned out as of late. In addition to the many projects I have my hands in, I’ve been working on job applications and home improvement. I hope to have some new content sometime in the near future, maybe mid-April.
I’ve gotten sorting and sticky headers to work on all of my tables. What needs to be done now is figure out how to sort each column individually. On the Doerfer page, for example, we need to sort by English, German, Persian, and Doerfer’s Persian transliteration. Also, Azerbaijani (for example) sorts differently from English, with <x> following <h> and <q> following <k>. And, of course, the various Cyrillic alphabets have their own idiosyncrasies.
I’ll further have to figure out how to sort my transcribed forms. I think I’ll base it on character shape and try to be as consistent as possible. Whatever I figure out will be available on the Transcription page.
After that, I’ll look into introducing filters on the Language Forms page and maybe on the Compare page to enable filtering by lexical class and things like numerals, colors, animals, etc.
I’ve mostly been testing on two of the less vital pages: Doerfer and Missing. So far, I’ve been able to make things sort with a degree of relative success. Ideally, each column would have it’s own sort order so that Azerbaijani, say, would sort differently from English. This is going to require a lot more research. Right now, I’m using the tablesorter and sugar libraries.
Two more things I’d like to do are to set long tables to be sticky – that means that the headers scroll down the page with you – and to introduce filtering options on the language-specific pages. It would be nice to be able to filter out nouns or pronouns or numerals or even colors or animal names.
I’m only at 16050 entries right now. Part of the reason for creating the Doerfer page is to make it easier to navigate his materials. I’d like to get more Southern Oghuz data entered, but it can be challenging without a separate index. This page will remedy that.
I realized that I never entered all of the Mrass Shor data I have access to, which means that the count is growing rapidly. The 16000th form is Mrass Shor for cold – sooq.
I’ve been slowly adding entries for the new glosses (honey, navel, dream, etc.) which has been slow, but productive. Now that my gloss count is up to 350, I have a mind to just keep adding glosses that I find interesting. I have about 50 more that I’ve considered adding – hammer, jump, needle, axe, birch… I’ve tried to be systematic in entering data, just because it’s annoying to have to revisit a lot of my data sources. I’ll think about it a bit more before deciding how to approach this.
I’ve also made a few adjustments to the website itself. The Missing Page is a bit more functional. I had originally set it up for my own personal use, but figured I may as well share it. Another update on my agenda is to combine the two pages that I use for the Compare feature. This is pretty trivial and I should have thought of it long ago.